Slides became super trendy last summer thanks to Rihanna’s furry Fenty slides! I keep seeing them everywhere from so many designers, and thought that this would be a great, saavy DIY. The look is super attainable and you can completely make them your own.
I’ve been meaning to do this DIY for a really long time, and I’m SO happy with how these turned out. This blog post will go through how I created these slides more in-depth! But first, make sure you watch the video:
Plastic pool/bathroom slides
Glue gun + glue sticks
Cutting mat or a surface for crafting
FENTY-INSPIRED FUR SLIDES
Faux Fur, just enough to cover your slides(I got mine at a fabric store down on Queen Street in Toronto. But you can definitely get creative with this! Try thrifting a stuffed animal or a faux fur scarf for an even less expensive option)
FENTY-INSPIRED SILK BOW SLIDES
2 Metres of Satin ribbon (about 4.5 inches wide across), purchased at Fabricland
Stuffing (or any scrap fabric to add a bit of cushion to your slide)
CHANEL-INSPIRED CHAIN SLIDES
1 Metre of Silver Chain (purchased at Fabricland)
1.5 Metres of 3/4 inch Satin blue ribbon (purchased at fabric land)
0.5 Metre of Satin ribbon (about 4.5 inches wide across, purchased at Fabricland)
- Pins were really helpful: The pins were able to keep everything in place while I was glueing, without any damage to the fabrics or the slides. I kept them in while the glue was drying as well to help it hold.
- Contrary to popular belief, the glue sticks from the the glue gun are surprisingly sturdy. I have another pair of slides that I made in December and the fur on top is still staying on quite strong! It really worked for me, plus it was malleable enough to move around in case I positioned it improperly. But if you’re having trouble with regular glue, try the e6000 craft adhesive.
- My feet are really narrow and the slides are quite a bit wide across. I actually folded the fabric over to the underside, that way the opening is a bit smaller and easier for me.
- If you want to make the chain on the Chanel inspired ones extra secure, use a needle and thread to fasten it.
- I got my slides from the Chinese supermarket (I highly recommend this!!) but I also have seen them at the dollar store and Amazon.